As it is already known coffee Arabica first originated in Ethiopia in SNNPRS in Kaffa Zone in the place known as Mankira. Ethiopia is one of major coffee producer nation in Africa. Coffee is harvested in different parts of the country. Above all the Southern regional State accounts over half of the nations coffee harvesting. The main coffee growing areas in the region include Sidama, Gedo, Kaffa, & BenchiMaji Zones. As land of discovery Coffee harvesting & processing is an amazing part of Agro tourism. The Gedo (yirgachife) & Sidama coffee are well known at International market for their finest quality of production & have their own brands of selling. It is very Pleasant enjoyable to visit coffee in its harvesting &processing period which usually annually extends from September to January. Although it is accessible to visit in most parts of these Zones, the most appropriate areas for visiting are:
1. Wottona Bultuma Coffee Cooperative site
It is found 60kms from Hawassa in Aletawendo wereda.Here:
- - You enjoy an easy trekking to the colorful home gardens of the plantation
- - Visiting the coffee processing station including the coffee testing machine
- - Testing atypical local meal called ‘Bursame” followed by the famous Ethiopian Coffee ceremony
2. Around Aregash Lodge
It is found 45kms from Hawassa in Yirgalem town. Here:-
- - By staying in the lodge the tourists can visit the farmers coffee gardens around the lodge.
- - Tasting the Sidama”s known cultural ‘Bursame” with Ethiopian coffee ceremony.